Meet Dr. Laing
January 1990 Mechanisms of action and effectiveness of topical and systemic antifungal agents,” UNC Department of Dermatology.
May 1990 “Cutaneous invasion of helminths with special reference to schistosoma mansoni,” UNC Department of Dermatology.
February 1991 “Conservative vs. aggressive treatment of cutaneous T-cell lymphoma,” UNC Department of Dermatology.
June 1991 “Brown recluse spider envenomation,” presented at UNC Department of Dermatology.
June 1991 "Brown recluse spider envenomation," presented at UNC Department of Dermatology.
January 1992 "Electrosurgery," UNC Department of Dermatology.
January 1992 "Flaps," presented at UNC Department of Dermatology.
April 1992 "Chemoprevention of skin cancer; the role of retinoids," presented at UNC Department of Dermatology.
March 1993 "Repair of conchal bowl defects with a revolving door intercalation flap," American College of MOHS' Micrographic Surgery and Cutaneous Oncology (annual meeting).
October 22, 1993 "Skin Tumors and Their Management," Recent Developments in Internal Medicine Meeting, Atlantic Beach, NC sponsored by Department of Medicine, ECU School of Medicine.
February 25, 1994 "Diagnosis and Management of Skin Cancer by the Primary Care Physician," Rafael C. Sanchez Family Medicine Update '94 for the Department of Family Medicine, ECU School of Medicine.
March 3, 1993 "Skin Cancer," Department of Medicine Grand Rounds, ECU School of Medicine.
March 9, 1994 "Dermatology Clinical Pathology Conference", Students, Residents, local and area Dermatologists, and Department of Clinical Pathology faculty and residents.
March 17, 1994 "Treatment of Acne with Emphasis on the Use of Accutane," Cherry Point Naval Hospital, Cherry Point, NC.
April 8, 1994 "MOHS Surgery," ECU School of Medicine Tumor Board Review.
April 29, 1994 "Management of Common Skin Cancers" and "Acute Red Rashes", 7th Annual Down-East Dermatology Day, Ramada Inn, Greenville, NC.
May 12, 1994 "Causes and Treatment of Skin Cancer", Pitt Chapter, American Association of Medical Assistants (monthly meeting).
June 29, 1994 "Melanoma Update", Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, ECU School of Medicine.
December 2, 1994 "Merkel Cell Carcinoma," ECU School of Medicine Tumor Board Review.
April 28, 1995 "Update on Moles and Melanoma" and "A Simple Approach to the Management of Acne", 8th Annual Down-East Dermatology Day, Ramada Inn, Greenville, NC.
October, 1995 "Sweet's Syndrome", ECU School of Medicine, Infectious Disease Case Conference.
October 10, 1995 "Acne, Rosacea" and "Skin Tumors", Caswell/O'Berry Centers lectures, Goldsboro and Kinston, NC.
November 6, 1995 "Moles and Melanoma", ECU School of Medicine Community Hospital CME Presentation at Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, Goldsboro, NC.
December 8, 1995 Statewide Teleconference for North Carolina Dermatologists, Patient Presentation.
February 16, 1996 "Sweet's Syndrome", ECU School of Medicine Pediatric Grand Rounds Case Conference.
April 9, 1996 "Dermatology III: Malignant Melanomas", Caswell/O'Berry Centers lectures, Goldsboro and Kinston, NC.
April 26, 1996 "Bites and Mites - Infestations of the Skin" and "Viral Exanthems", 9th Annual Down-East Dermatology Day, Ramada Plaza Hotel, Greenville, NC.
September 17, 1996 "Moles and Melanoma", Wayne Memorial Hospital, Goldsboro, NC.
October 11, 1996 "Skin Tumors in the Elderly", Geriatric Symposium, ECU School of Medicine, Department of Family Medicine.
November 6, 1996 "Pearls to Sew By: Surgical complications and how to avoid them", Dermatology Grand Rounds, Duke University Medical Center.
May 2, 2003 “Acute Red Rashes”, Sixteenth Annual Down-East Dermatology Day, City Hotel and Bistro, Greenville, NC.
April 23, 2004 “Benign and Malignant Skin Tumors, Seventeenth Annual Down-East Dermatology Day, City Hotel and Bistro, Greenville, NC.
April 29, 2005 “Complications of Cutaneous Surgery and How to Avoid Them”, The Billy E. Jones Eighteenth Annual Down-East Dermatology Day, City Hotel and Bistro, Greenville, NC.
April 28, 2006 "Morning at the Movies: Dermatology Procedures from Punches to Peels", The Billy E. Jones Nineteenth Annual Down-East Dermatology Day, City Hotel and Bistro, Greenville, NC.
March 2009 “Surgical Anatomy and Flaps”, Presented to Dermatology Residents Brody School of Medicine, Greenville, NC
1. Laing VB, Sheretz EF, Flowers FP. Pemphigoid-like bullous eruption related to ibuprofen. J Am Acad Dermatol 1988;19:91-4.
2. Laing VB, Resnick SD. Trichonodosis in a patient with straight hair. J Am Acad Dermatol 1990;23:756-757.
3. Laing VB, Knipe RC, Flowers FP, Stoer CB, Ramos-Caro FA. Proliferating trichilemmal tumor: report of a case and review of the literature. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1991;17:295-298.
4. Laing VB, Fleischer AB. Piezogenic wrist papules: a common and asymptomatic finding. J Am Acad Dermatol 1991;24:415-417.
5. Laing VB. Acquired digital fibrokeratoma. Hosp Physician 1992;28:58.
6. Laing VB. Dermadilemma - Metastatic Breast Cancer. Hosp Physician 1994;30:33.
7. Burke WA, Phillips CM, Laing VB. Dermatology consultations requested by Surgeons. Curr Surg 1995;52:307-311.
8. Phillips CM, Murphy R, Burke WA, Laing VB, Jones BE, Balch D, Gustke S. Dermatology Teleconsultations to Central Prison: Experience at East Carolina University. Telemedicine Journal, 1996;2(2):139-143.
9. Jones MA, Laing VB, Files B, Park HK. Granuloma Annulare Mimicking Septic Emboli in a Child with Myelodysplastic Syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol 1998;38(1):106-8.
1. Larsen LC, Laing VB. Fungus Infections of the Skin. The Manual of Family Practice (1st ed), Robert B. Taylor, ed. 1996;132:568-572.
2. Larsen LC, Laing VB. Fungus Infections of the Skin. The Manual of Family Practice (2nd ed), Robert B. Taylor, ed. 2002;162:509-511.
(3rd ed), in progress.
Peer reviewed article for CURRENT SURGERY, “Surgical margins of the treatment of non melanoma skin cancer and MOHS Micrographic Surgery”, December 2004.
Laing VB, McCall MW. Post-auricular "revolving door" island flap for conchal bowl reconstruction. J Dermatol Surg Oncol 1993;19:1041-1046.
1. Poster: Teleconferencing for Continuing Medical Education in Dermatology: Experience in North Carolina, American Academy of Dermatology Academy 96, Orlando, FL
2. Poster: Teledermatology at East Carolina University-Link to Central Prison and Rural Communities. American Academy of Dermatology Meeting, San Francisco, CA, March 1997
3. Poster: Teledermatology at East Carolina University-Link to Central Prison and rural Communities. American Telemedicine Association 2nd Annual Meeting, Atlanta GA, April 1997